Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ellie Kay, Featured Expert: Front Page USA Today Story










I'm in Chicago last week, eating at "Bubba Gump Shrimp" in a business meeting. The waiter comes to our table with important issues--trivia questions:
  1. Name the two rock and roll artists that Forrest meets
  2. Name the three Presidents that he met.
  3. Name his three best friends (one female, two males)

So far, I've gotten all the questions right and I'm feeling pretty good about life and then my assistant for the trip (Bethany Grace) gets a call from a USA Today reporter. He's doing a feature cover story on ways Americans are cutting back on "luxury items." I take the call outside the restaurant (did I mention Chicago was a chilly 5 degrees?) and tried to get out of the "Forrest" frame of mind and into the "Financial Expert" mode.

He said: "So do you think that the American public is headed for a recession."

I said: "Life is a like box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

He said: "Um...people are cutting back on things like Starbucks and Evian water, do you think that's smart?"

I said: "My mama always said...stupid is as stupid does."

He said: "That's fascinating, do you have any thoughts on the perceived peer pressure among people who are saving and those who are not?"

I said: "I just had 19 Dr. Peppers, I have to go...."

After about 30 minutes of this, the poor guy had to either end the interview or end his life. I guess he's still alive and I must have managed to say something worthwhile as the piece ran with my incredibly Forrest-like wisdom included. For the full article, go to http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2008-02-26-consumers-cut-small-luxuries_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip .

As a result of that story breaking today, my offices were contacted by CBS radio and I did a slightly better interview for them than my Bubba Gump shrimp interview. You'll hear that airing throughout the day as well.

Just remember one more thing, if you follow the tips in this blog, you'll be able to get where you're going. You can have your savings and some of your luxury items too--if you cut back the smart way. Just step in my shoes and I'll take you there because "Mama says they was magic shoes, they could take me anywhere."

And that's all I have to say about that.

Ellie Kay

"America's Family Financial Expert" (R)

http://www.elliekay.com/