Friday, November 6, 2009

Safe in Israel


This is an amazing photo. One of the notable things about Israel that you have to get used to is all the soldiers walking around with M-16s hanging off their shoulders. Some of my friends were concerned about my safety with the reports they read in the news but the crime rate for violent crime is lower, per capita, in Israel than it is in Palmdale,CA (where I live). I feel safer here than I do in America, especially after today's sad headlines about major shooting sprees in FL and TX.
The photo you see is after basic training graduation, the graduates are presented with a rifle and a Bible. That was just incredulous to me!
We visited Masada and heard the story of the tragic end of the Jewish zealots versus the roman army. History tends to repeat itself in terms of violence. We also saw Capernuem, ancient Dan, ancient Beer Sheba, the sea of Galille's shores where a 2000 year old boat was discovered and much, much more!

Gotta run,
Ellie Kay
www.elliekay.com

No comments: